We have put together a printable PDF that includes the City of San Marcos – City Charter requested amendment changes AND the current corresponding Charter sections with the actual addition or removed language…
It’s that time of year again; residents have started to see election signs show up on busy street corners, in your neighbor’s yards and near your child’s school.
Additionally, we will soon introduce you to all your San Marcos City Council Candidates…..But until then, here are some important items to know.
Here are a few things you need to know for the upcoming election
- Below you will find the 7 State of Texas Constitutional Amendments and includes a printable PDF with a bi-partisan explanation of the pros and cons for each amendment.
- The City of San Marcos is requesting the voters help them change 23 City Charter Amendments, and we don’t believe that San Marcos Voters can vote on the 23 city charter amendments unless you have the current charter items to compare the changes to.
- Included below is a printable PDF that includes the requested amendment changes AND the current corresponding Charter sections.
° To make it as easy as possible for the voters to educate themselves, we included the addition of or removed language. It has been underlined or with strike-through’s and all changes are highlighted, to make it as easy as possible for the voters to educate themselves.
- Where can you go to vote during early voting? ……What is your precinct location on election day? …..It’s all here for Hays County residents.
• Texas Constitutional Amendment Election — November 7, 2017 •
Texas Constitutional Amendments: There will be seven amendments on your ballots this year. We pulled the ballot language, the explanation, what the supporters and opponents are saying for each proposed amendment from the Texas House Research Organization. To view or download the PDF click HERE.
Here is a summary of the seven items for consideration on the Texas Constitutional Amendments:
- Prop 1: Allows disabled veterans or surviving spouses to pay property taxes on the donated value of a home given to them by a nonprofit organization, rather than the full market value.
- Prop 2: Allows home equity loans on agricultural property, repeals current restriction on home equity lines of credit, lowers home equity loan fee cap from 3% to 2%, changes other options for home equity loans.
- Prop 3: Under current law, the governor’s appointees to state agency boards and commissions must continue serving after their term expires until a successor is appointed and confirmed by the Texas Senate. Prop 3 limits service for unsalaried appointees to the last day of the legislative session after their term expires.
- Prop 4: Allows the legislature to prescribe a waiting period before the courts could rule a law unconstitutional. Also requires the courts to notify the attorney general of a challenge to a law’s constitutionality.
- Prop 5: Allows minor league sports teams and motorsports racing events to conduct charitable raffles. A constitutional amendment passed in 2015 allowed major league sports teams to do so.
- Prop 6: Extends property tax exemptions currently available to surviving spouses of veterans killed in action to surviving spouses of first responders killed in the line of duty.
- Prop 7: Allows credit unions to conduct savings raffles.
• City of San Marcos Charter Amendments •
- The San Marcos City Council is requesting the voters help them make amendments to the City Charter and that will be up to you, the voters.
To view or print a PDF with amendment explanations mentioned above click HERE.
• Important Dates Election November 2017 •
Friday, November 3, 2017 – Last day of Early Voting
Tuesday, November 7, 2017 – Election day
• Early Voting Schedule •
To view or print a PDF click HERE.
• Election Day Polling Locations •
Precincts (Consolidated) and Polling Locations – For a printable PDF click HERE.
• PRECINCTS: 110/113
° LOCATION: HAYS COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT — 401 A BROADWAY ST SAN MARCOS, TX 78666
• PRECINCTS: 111/112
° LOCATION: DUNBAR CENTER — 801 MARTIN LUTHER KING DR SAN MARCOS, TX 78666
• PRECINCT: 120
° LOCATION: SAN MARCOS HOUSING, RESIDENTS OFFICE — 820 STURGEON ST. SAN MARCOS, TX 78666
° LOCATION: TOBIAS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL — 1005 EAST FM 150 KYLE, TX 78640
° LOCATION: KYLE CITY HALL — 100 W CENTER ST KYLE, TX 78640
° LOCATION: BUDA CITY HALL — 121 N MAIN ST BUDA, TX 78610
• PRECINCT: 228
° LOCATION: MCCORMICK MIDDLE SCHOOL — 5700 DACY LANE BUDA, TX 78610
• PRECINCTS: 226/230/232/236/238
° LOCATION: HAYS HILLS BAPTIST CHURCH — 1401 N FM 1626 BUDA, TX 78610
• PRECINCTS: 229/234
° LOCATION: GOFORTH WATER SUPPLY — 8900 NIEDERWALD STRA SSE NIEDERWALD, TX 78640
• PRECINCTS: 301/315/316/317
° LOCATION: FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH — 325 W McCARTY LANE SAN MARCOS, TX 78666
• PRECINCTS: 318/330/336/339
° LOCATION: FIRST LUTHERAN CHURCH — 130 W HOLLAND ST SAN MARCOS, TX 78666
• PRECINCTS: 332/334
° LOCATION: TRAVIS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL — 1437 POST RD. SAN MARCOS, TX 78666
• PRECINCTS: 333/335/ 337
° LOCATION: WIMBERLEY COMMUNITY CENTER — 14068 RANCH RD 12 WIMBERLEY, TX 78676
• PRECINCTS: 413/414
° LOCATION: ALLENWOOD HOMES AUDITORIUM — 1201 THORPE LN. SAN MARCOS, TX 78666
° LOCATION: WALLACE MIDDLE SCHOOL — 1500 W CENTER ST KYLE, TX 78640